Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Friend of a friend...

Victor 16453
I decided to take a trip down to the Moccasin Bend Brewery last night for a drink or two (or three), where I ran into a friend who came up to me and said, "Hey, you wanna take a look at some shellac?" I nodded enthusiastically and he proceeded to go to his vehicle and bring back six discs of varying genres. I purchased them from him immediately, then I inquired as to the yard sale he acquired them from. Turns out, the discs were from my friend Clark Williams' yard sale that I was unable to attend due to playing a gig out of town that day. I was regretting not having the chance to peruse the 78s Clark had for sale, when they suddenly got dropped in my lap! So, cheers to Jason for scouting the shellac for me, and cheers to Clark for being Clark. Oh, and check out Clark's musical projects, the Old Time Travelers and "Recordings of Ferns".

Here's the haul from last night:

Victor 16453 - Fisk University Jubilee Quartet, "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"/"Golden Slippers" - 1909 (I've never seen a disc of this age in such immaculate condition! It looks like it's never been played. Also of note, a young Roland Hayes sings lead on "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".)

Bluebird B-6489 - Wade Mainer & Zeke Morris, "Gathering Flowers From The Hills"/"Cradle Days" - 1936

King 550 - J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers, "John Henry"/"I'll Remember You Love" - 1946 (J.E. is Wade's brother. See entry above.)

Decca 46024 - Red Foley with Roy Ross and his Ramblers, "Foggy River"/"Lay Down Your Soul" - 1946 (Gonna be doing a blog about a Red Foley cut soon.)

Columbia 36974 - Roy Acuff and his Smoky Mountain Boys, "All The World Is Lonely Now"/"That Glory Bound Train" - 1946

Columbia 36735 - Burl Ives, "Peter Gray"/"1. Sweet Betsy From Pike 2. On Top Of Old Smoky" - 1941

No comments:

Post a Comment